The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

After a severe on the job accident, the injured worker often must travel long distances to get needed medical care, therapy and testing. The "wear and tear" on their car or truck can prove costly. A call today to the Herndon law firm ABRAMS LANDAU repeated this often heard question. In order to be reimbursed for trips to the doctor, physical therapist, hospital, radiologist, etc., it does not matter if:

  • Your wife drove you,
  • You took a cab because you could not drive,
  • A friend gave you a lift,
  • You hopped the local bus,
  • A car service was required,
  • The Medical services building charges you for parking,
  • There are toll roads along the way to the therapist’s office,

As long as you have the receipts for the taxi, bus, subway, parking, tolls and other travel related expenses, you may be reimbursed. If you do not have support for the claimed expenses or trips, then the workers compensation insurance company may refuse to pay. If you go to a health care provider for treatment, then such expenditures may be covered under your Workers Compensation Award. For use of your own car (whether or not you were driving, as many ABRAMS LANDAU client cannot drive themselves to their medical appointments because of the severity of their injuries), mapquest or the mileage on the odometer can be summated for payment. In cases where the injured or disabled worker cannot drive and has no one to take them, cab fare or car service may be reasonable under the circumstances. In some permanent total disability cases, the insurance companies have paid for car service, limousines and taxi cabs to shuttle our clients to their necessary medical appointments. Bottom line: keep the receipts and good written records for full reimbursement !

Comments are closed.

Of Interest